Social Security Number

 International students who have applied for on-campus student work opportunities MUST get a social security card BEFORE they begin working, but AFTER they have been hired. In order to apply for a Social Security Number you will need to:

  • Wait at least two weeks from the date on your I-94 card to apply and after the first week of classes if you are a new international student
  • Become officially hired by an on-campus employer such as the KSU Bookstore, Cafeteria, RA, OneStop, etc.
  • Complete all tax forms and paperwork required by Human Resources (located in ASB, second floor)
  • Complete the Social Security Card application found here: and read the important information about international students found here:
  • Obtain the Employment Verification Letter from the Office of International Affairs (located in 109 Cooperative Extension Building).
  • Have your employer complete Section 1 of the Employment Verification Letter
  • Come to the Office of International Affairs during scheduled advising hours with Section 1 of your Employment Verification Letter completed. Once you have done so, the Director of International Affairs or a DSO will complete the form by signing Section 2.

The Social Security Administration requires the following items in order to apply for a Social Security Number:

The Social Security Administration is located at 140 Flynn Ave., Frankfort, KY 40601.

Once you receive your Social Security Number by mail you must:

  • Go in person with your Social Security card to the Management Information System Department located at ASB to update your Social Security number in the Student Information System (SIS)/W.I.R.E.D.
  • Provide a copy of your Social Security card to the Office of the Controller (Bursar’s Office?) located in ASB.
  • Provide a copy of the card to the Human Resources Officer located at ASB for the department with which you are working at KSU.

Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number

Be careful with your Social Security card and number. Show your card to your employer when you start a job so your records are correct. Provide your Social Security Number to your financial institution(s) for tax reporting purposes. Keep your card and any other document that shows your Social Security Number on it in a safe place. DO NOT routinely carry your card or other documents that display your number. For more information, visit

Driver’s License

All non-U.S. citizens may drive in the U.S. on their valid foreign license and International Permit for up to one year from the date of admission into the U.S. provided their home country is part of the Foreign License Reciprocity. Drivers from non-Foreign License Reciprocity Countries must obtain a Kentucky license within 30 days of establishing residency in Kentucky.

All non-U.S. citizens applying for a first time Kentucky permit/license are required to take the written, vision, and road tests. This includes transfer drivers holding a valid license from another state or country. Drivers holding a valid out of state license, or a valid license from a foreign reciprocity country, will not be required to hold a permit. Non-U.S. citizens already licensed in Kentucky are not required to retest, but they must be approved by Division of Driver Licensing. Permanent Residents with a valid license from a foreign reciprocity country will only be required to take the written/vision exam. Otherwise, all testing is required.  For more information, please visit

As of today, available testing languages for written permit test are as follows:

Albanian, Arabic, Bosnian, Cambodian, Chinese, Croatian, English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Persian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese.

The regional office in Frankfort:

Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Division of Driver Licensing
200 Mero Street 2nd Floor
Frankfort, KY 40622

Phone: (502) 564-1257

Office hours: 8:00 am – 3:30 pm

You must bring the following to the Office:

  • Completed application form (TC 94-152)
  • Letter from OIA or a DSO stating that you are student in good standing at KSU
  • Valid passport
  • S. visa
  • Current I-20
  • I-94
  • Social Security Card or Ineligibility Letter from Social Security Administration
  • INS School Compliance Form (TC 94-159, Rev 10/18) must be dated within the last 30 days
  • Proof of address within the last 30 days.

Tax Information

Each year, the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that all workers file a tax return which is due on April 15 of the following year. International students in the U.S. are required to file their taxes with the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS), if you are employed on campus. International students must declare the number of days spent in the US (Form 8843). As a nonresident alien, you are also required to file a tax return, which is sometimes called Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ. The Office of International Affairs will organize workshops and hands-on activities to help you out filling the taxes. Please watch your email for announcement of available dates. Students must mail their taxes through the campus post office before April 15 of each year. Here is a link of 2019 IRS publication that has information about the preparation of basic international student/scholar t returns

IMPORTANT: Hands on workshops for 2019 Tax Return will be held in COOP 121 Cooperative Extension Building on Tuesday, March 3, 2020 between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.