The FRIENDS Program identifies nontraditional students as students who qualify as one or more of the following:
- Regularly live off campus.
- May be a parent (regardless of age).
- May be single, married, widowed or divorced.
- May be military veterans.
- Assume multiple roles: parent, spouse, caregiver, and/or employee, in addition to attending classes.
- May be 25 years old or older.
- May be resuming or have begun studies after a period of employment or working from their home.
- May be going through a transition such as a career change.