There is a $50.00 fee on all returned checks.

In the event that a check has been returned, the issuer will be notified and informed that they have 10 days to make *restitution, including any related fees to prevent any further collection activity.  Once the university is informed of a returned check, a hold will be placed on the individual’s account.  A personal check will not be accepted as repayment for a returned check.

*(Restitution must be made in the form of cash, certified/cashier’s check, or money order.)

Hold Procedures

A HOLD is a restriction that is placed on the student’s account. The Bursar’s Office places two types of holds on student accounts:

  1. Registration Hold: this hold will not allow students to register for classes and add or drop class(es).
  2. Transcript Hold: this hold will not allow students to obtain transcript(s)

Students can check HOLD information by accessing their account online using the KSU WIRED.

How to release HOLDS placed by the Bursar’s Office

  1. Hold for Outstanding balance: Please visit the Bursar’s Office. For more information, visit How To Pay. Please call and or email the Bursar’s Office ( after making the payment to remove your holds. Holds will be removed only after it has been determined that the balance has been paid in full.
  2. Hold for Federal Loans Please contact Financing and Collections at 502-597-6924 or visit the Bursar’s Office.
  3. Hold for invalid address or email address:
    Please visit the Registrar’s Office or visit WIRED to update your address. Email the Registrar’s Office after updating your address online. The holds will be removed after it has been determined that the address information is valid.
    NOTE: To release holds placed by other departments, you MUST contact that department directly.