What is Title IX?

Refers to a comprehensive federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity. Title IX prohibits the use of federal money to support sex discrimination in education programs and provides individual citizens effective protection against those practices. Title IX applies, with a few specific exceptions, to all aspects of federally funded education programs or activities. In addition to traditional educational institutions such as colleges, universities, and elementary and secondary schools, Title IX also applies to any education or training program operated by a recipient of federal financial assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Where do I go or how should I help my friend immediately after a sexual assault?

A.  Get to a safe place immediately and call someone you trust.

  1. If sexual contact and/or penetration occurred, do not wash, shower, bathe, use the toilet or change clothing.  Preserve any evidence as would be necessary to prove the offense, or in obtaining a protective order, restraining order, and/or no-contact order.  Examples of such evidence include:
  • Clothing worn during the incident, including but not limited to undergarments;
  • Sheets, bedding, and condoms, if used;
  • A list of witnesses with contact information;
  • Text messages, emails, call history, and digital media posts; and
  • Pictures of any injuries.

2. You are encouraged to call the appropriate law enforcement agency. To contact Frankfort Police Department call 911. Kentucky State Campus Safety, (502)597-6878, can assist any student with reporting a crime to the Frankfort Police Department.

3. Get medical attention. Campus Safety will assist you in calling Emergency Medical Services (911) if you ask them to. The University also encourages you to go, or have someone else take you, directly to a medical facility or medical provider of your choice. Any medical provider should be instructed to collect and preserve relevant evidence, or if they are not experienced in doing so themselves, to contact the Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center at (1800) 656-4673. For additional off-campus medical services, contact Frankfort Regional Medical Center at (502) 875-5240.

4. The University will assist an individual who has been subjected to, who knows of, or who has witnessed an incident of Sexual Misconduct in obtaining the services of counseling professionals, if requested. The University encourages you to seek support services.  For on-campus student counseling services, contact the Counseling Center at (502) 597-6277. All members of the campus community are encouraged to seek resources and support related to sex/gender discrimination and sexual misconduct proceedings, including Respondents, witnesses and bystanders.

Q:  Where do I report sexual misconduct or sex/gender discrimination?

A:  KYSU wants to make it very clear where all forms of gender/sex discrimination and sexual misconducted should be reported.  Please contact the Title IX Coordinator or designee to report any incident:

Another option is to report the incident to any Resident Assistant or Resident Coordinator, faculty or staff member who will then pass the information to one of the Title IX Coordinator.

Q:  This is overwhelming.  Is there someone who can help me understand more about the policy and my next decisions?

A:  Yes!  The Title IX Coordinator will visit with you in a safe place to help walk you through the options.  Your decisions don’t have to be made all in one visit!  It takes time to process and we want you to ask any and all questions you may have.

The college also has a trained group of faculty and staff who can provide assistance to either the claimant or the respondent during the entire process.  A list of faculty and staff who serve in these roles may be obtained from the Title IX coordinator.

Q:  If I share a report of harassment or misconduct with a faculty member or a member of the KYSU staff, will they be able to keep it confidential?

A:  All KYSU faculty and staff must report any incident of sexual misconduct or sex/gender harassment to either the Title IX Coordinator.  This also includes Resident Assistants and Peer Advocates.

Q:  If I share a report with another student may they keep it confidential?

A:  Yes, but the University strongly encourages individuals who have been involved in, or who know of, or who have witnessed incidents of Sex/Gender Discrimination or Sexual Misconduct to report such incidents as soon as possible.

Q:  Where do I seek assistance if I have been accused of discrimination or misconduct?

A:  A student accused (the respondent) of violating the sex/gender and sexual misconduct policy should seek assistance from either the Title IX Coordinator (listed above.)


Hannah Satram-Hale 
Title IX Coordinator and Title VII Investigator

Academic Services Building (ASB) 537
400 East Main St.
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone:  502-597-6138

Email:  hannah.hale@kysu.edu