There are three mutually-exclusive types of absences for purposes of classification:
- due to documented required military service;
- due to documented university service or off-campus representation of the University; and,
- due to documented jury duty
Excused absence, non-Service related
- due to documented illness,
- due to documented serious illness, or s immediate family
- due to documented court appearance
- due to documented attendance at a university-sponsored field trip
- due to lack of documentation of an otherwise excused absence
- due to excessive excused absences (exceeding the number of class meetings in one week
- due to university-activity absences incurred when the student’s performance in class is below a “C” average
Late registrations beyond the University’s Add/Drop period must be approved by the Office of the University Registrar. The exception must be based upon extraordinary circumstances and approved by the course instructor. Under these circumstances, no excused or unexcused absences will be accrued until the date of official course enrollment. All make-up assignments must be completed within a time period determined by the instructor.
Provided the student is doing satisfactorily in the course, any class absence incurred while a student is performing university-patriotic service (participating in an activity whereby the student represents the university off campus) is to be excluded from the total number of allowed excused absences.
Absence(s) from class(es) because of university-patriotic duty or university-sponsored academic class activities must be reported to the Vice President for Student Success and Enrollment Management two (2) weeks prior to the date of the absence. The Vice President for Student Affairs will inform faculty members BEFORE the student’s absence from class(es) in these cases.
In order for a class absence to be excused, the student must submit documentation of the absence(s) to the Vice President for Student Affairs within one week of the absence(s).
The number of excused absences may not exceed the number of class meetings during one full week of class(es) during a semester, or two class meetings during one full week of classes during the summer session. Absences in excess of the allowed number of excused absences will be considered unexcused.
The number of unexcused absences per semester or summer session may not exceed the number of class meetings during one full week of class. For each unexcused absence over the maximum number allowed, the instructor may lower the course grade one full grade level.
For any excused absence, all make-up assignments must be completed within a time period determined by the instructor.
If an individual instructor or academic unit adopts more stringent attendance policies, those policies must appear in a conspicuous location in the course syllabus and must be announced to the class on the first day it meets.
Regulations on class tardiness are determined by the instructor of the class.