What are Peer Tutors?
Peer Tutors are high-achieving students who provide academic assistance to individual students and small groups to all students at Kentucky State University in the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE). Peer Tutors help students develop and enhance necessary skills to succeed in college. Peer Tutors help students understand their text books and homework assignments, they help students to understand and explain important concepts, they help students to recognize and use college resources, and they provide encouragement and feedback to students.
How do I work with a Peer Tutor?
ACE primarily operates on a walk-in basis. Students would come into ACE and sign-in at the front desk. The student will be paired with a Peer Tutor in the subject they are seeking help in. Sessions generally last about 30 minutes. Students are also able to schedule appointments with specific Peer Tutors. To ensure there is a Peer Tutor to help you, check the schedule for tutor availability.
Become a Peer Tutor
- Work with students either one-on-one or in small groups
- Work up to 20 hours per week
- Earn $10 per hour
- Current KSU students
- Be at least sophomore
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have only earned A’s or B’s in all courses in the subject area you wish to tutor (For example: If you want to tutor math you must have A’s and B’s in all math classes you have taken)
- Able to attend all training session
- Can work the entire semester
- 2 strong letters of recommendation from current or previous instructors
Click Here to Apply!