Application Packet and General Information for Resident Assistant Position
A Resident Adviser (RA) is part-time paraprofessional who, under the direction and supervision of the Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) or Graduate Hall Director (Residence Life Professional Staff), works to fulfill the mission of the department by creating and maintaining a safe and healthy environment conducive for living and learning.
• Abide by Residence Life and the University Code of Conduct
• Complete rounds to minimize safety and security risks
• Develops and maintains positive interpersonal relationships with residents in their area
• Fosters strong sense of community amongst residents and all on campus students
• Advises and counsels residents with personal issues (within the scope of his/her responsibility)
• Mediates conflicts between residents, roommates, and communities
• Serves as a referral agent to appropriate KSU staff and community resources
• Emphasizes a personal and community balance
• Facilitates residents’ ability to grow holistically
• Implements programs consistent with programming requirements of the department and the residential area
• Challenge both self and residents to be critical thinking citizens of the global community.
Applicants must submit the following materials to be considered for an interview:
All applicants must submit three references. References must be individuals who are able to assess applicant’s skills and abilities to be a Resident Assistant. References cannot be KSU students or relatives of applicant.
A cover letter must be included with application.
A tentative class schedule for the upcoming semester must be submitted with the application.
Full time student (12 credit hours for undergraduates and 9 credit hours for graduate students)
Completion of 24 credit hours at the end of the current semester
Prior student leadership experience
Late applications will not be received after the deadline, but may be added to the wait list.
Application Process Timeline
Applications Available- Friday, February 24, 2017 through Monday, March 27, 2017
Information Sessions (Student Center Food Court/ Cafeteria Area)
February 28, 2017 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
March 2, 201711:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
March 7, 201711:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
March 21, 201711:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Application Deadline- Monday, March 27, 2017 @ 4:30 p.m. (submit to Residence Life in ASB 317 or via online http://kysu.edu/administration-governance/student-affairs/housing/ or email completed application materials to email@example.com).
All Interviews will be conducted- Friday, March 31, 2017 and Saturday, April 1, 2017
Application Status Emailed to Applicants- Friday, April 28, 2017
Decision Letter Due- Friday, May 5, 2017
Student Staff Training- August 2017 (specific training dates will be provided by July 1, 2017).
Resident Assistants will receive room and board for their compensation. It is highly encouraged for applicants to consult with the Office of Financial Aid to determine how this position will impact their financial account before accepting position.
RA Application Packet Information February