Listed below are some of the frequently asked questions about the Office of Residence Life for parents at Kentucky State University.

Can resident students vote in Kentucky?

Yes. For more information see the Kentucky Student Voting Guide.

What items are students permitted to bring in the residence halls/ their room?

Please refer to the Suggested Items List.

When do the residence halls open/close?

Fall 2015 Semester:

  • All residence halls open for NEW (Freshmen and Transfers)RESIDENTS on Saturday, August 15, 2015 @ 8:00am
  • All residence halls open for RETURNING RESIDENTS on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 @ 8:00am
  • Residence Halls close on Saturday, December 19, 2015 @ 1:00pm

Spring 2016 Semester:

  •  All residence halls open on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 @ 8:00am
  • Residence Halls close on Saturday, May 14, 2016 @ 1:00pm
Is there a location where students can send/receive fax?

Students may visit the Office of Residence Life to use its fax machine.

Do the residence halls have elevators?

Yes. Chandler Hall, Kentucky Hall, McCullin Hall, and Young Hall have elevators.

Can students bring additional furniture to put in their room?

Students may bring personal items to decorate their room under the conditions that they do not remove any university furniture from the room and the items do not damage and or deface any university property (walls, floors, doors, etc.)

Who cleans the students’ room? Bathrooms? Common areas?

Each student is responsible for his/her room’s cleanliness, environment (guests and their behaviors, noise, etc.).  Students are responsible for keeping their room clean. Students who live in suite rooms must clean their bathroom (showers, floor, commode, sink, etc.), while students who live in buildings/areas with community bathrooms have a housekeeper(s) who cleans the bathroom.  All students are responsible for the general upkeep of the bathroom: properly flushing commodes after each use, throwing away trash/paper towel, and making sure the floor/stall/sink is clear of all their personal belongings and/or mess.

Can parents, family, and or friends visit and stay overnight?
  • Residents are allowed to have visitors/guests in their room under the following conditions:
  • Only two guests/visitors at one time.
  • Each visitor/guest is at least 18 years of age.
  • Each visitor/guest presents a valid photo id card to the front office of the building, and properly signs in/out.
Where is the residence life office located?

The Office of Residence Life is located in Academic Service Building Suite 317.

Can freshmen have a vehicle during the first school year? If so, what is the process to register the vehicle on-campus?

Yes, freshmen students are allowed to have a vehicle. Each student must register his/her vehicle with University police and obtain a parking decal for his/her assigned residence hall parking lot.

Does the University have student staff for the residence halls? What is the process for applying?

Each residence hall has student staff who work and reside in the building. The staff position title is Resident Assistant. Students interested in applying for a vacant position are encouraged to browse the Staff: Residence Life Opportunities section of our webpage and or contact his/her residence hall manager for more information.

What is the process for making a claim through the University’s third party personal property insurance?

Claims Process for Reporting a “Loss” on Your Personal Property Program

In order to report a Claim, the Proof of Loss form, which  you can download from Haylor, Freyer & Coon, must be completed, signed and returned to Haylor, Freyer & Coon, Inc. To prevent a delay in settlement we request that you   submit your claim form within 90 days of the date of loss.  If you   are going to Email the completed form to us, please include the words   “Insurance Claim” on the subject line to ensure your message is not   caught by our SPAM Filter.

Required Documentation

  • A copy of the receipt or the original bill for the damaged or stolen items. If this information is not available, we require written estimate from the place of purchase (or similar store) for the same or comparable items. We also accept website documentation to determine value.
  • For Claims involving theft or vandalism, a Campus Security or Police report is required.
  • For Accidental Damage to electronic items valued over $500 a repair estimate or bill is needed. If the item is not repairable, then we will need a statement from an authorized repair facility.
  • We must advise you that any person who knowingly and with intent to defraud any insurance company or other person files a statement of claim containing any materially false information, or conceals for the purpose of misleading, information   concerning any fact material thereto, commits a fraudulent insurance act, which is a crime.
  • Should you have any questions, please contact Wendy Bigford at our office. Phone # 1-888-201-5988 or email
  • Please Note:  If you are going to Email the completed form to us, please include the words “Insurance Claim” on the subject line to ensure your message is not caught by our SPAM Filter.
  • Complete the Proof of Loss form. Once completed, mail to Haylor, Freyer & Coon, PO Box 4743 in Syracuse, NY 13221 attn: Claim Department. You can Fax the Claim form to 1-315-453-2184 or email it to
Are transportation services offered to students?

The Frankfort Transit offers free services to KSU students who present a current KSU ID card.

Who do I contact when I want to know how my student is doing in class and college?

Per FERPA (The Buckley Amendment), a student’s information is privileged only to those he/she has authorized. Thus, depending on the student’s FERPA document a parent, guardian, etc. may or may not be able to have any knowledge of the student’s records.  If a student has authorized his/her parent or guardian to have access to his/her records, the authorized person(s) may contact the appropriate office/person.

Who do I contact if I can’t reach my student?

You may contact the live-in hall manager for your student’s building.  If it is an emergency, you may call university police at (502) 597-6878.

What is the mailing address for my student?

All student mail should be addressed as follows:

Student’s Name
Kentucky State University
400 E. Main St.
Student’s Residence Hall & Room #
Frankfort, Ky. 40601

DO NOT send cash in the mail. Mail is delivered to the residence halls once a day Monday through Friday. No service is available on the weekends and holidays. Also, due to the university’s mailing process, mail is generally a day behind.  Sender’s wanting to have mail/items received the next day should use UPS or FedEx.

How do I add money to my student’s account for laundry, on-site vendors, etc.?

Money can be added to a student’s account (Thorobred card) via:

  • You have the ability to load T-Bucks online using a debit or credit card. You can load money as a guest if you know the student’s name and Student ID number.
  • Cashier’s office (Academic Service Building, 3rd Floor)
  • Money machine (Student Center, 1st Floor)
What are the meal plan options? What are dining dollars?

There are two meal plan options for students to choose from:

  • 19 meals per week and $200 dining dollars (default meal given to each student)
  • 15 meal per week and $300 dining dollars

Dining dollars are funds used to purchase items from contracted food vendors (i.e. Subway, Wings and Waffles, Starbucks etc.)

What amenities are included in the residence halls and rooms?

Residence hall amenities include lounges, study rooms, laundry facilities, internet/wireless connections and printing capabilities, a laptop program, and on-site paraprofessional and professional staff.

Each room entails a bed, mattress (twin XL), wardrobe/closet, desk, chair, and free cable services.

Note: Residents must share the room’s cable connections, and purchase a splitter for each.

Get the latest updates:

twitter facebook instagram youtube