Writing and Research
Parts of Speech
- HyperGrammar: This site provides a quick and comprehensive review of grammar including parts of speech and their usage, different sentence types, phrases, clauses, paragraphs, diction, and spelling rules. This site in part was created by the Writing Center of the University of Ottawa.
Online Dictionaries and Thesauruses
- Merriam-Webster: This site offers a dictionary, a thesaurus, a Spanish-English dictionary, a medical dictionary, and encyclopedia.
- Dictionary.com: This site offers a dictionary, a thesaurus, a language-translator program, Spanish-English dictionary, and various word games.
Writing is a form of art and expression. Good writing effectively communicates your ideas. These sites will help with all aspects of your writing. Learn how to break research into manageable steps, use the library effectively, and document sources.
- Grammarly: helps you write mistake-free in Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and any other app you use. Even in text messages! Get Your Fix. Grammarly scans your text for common grammatical mistakes (like misused commas) and complex ones (like misplaced modifiers). Write with confidence, even on your phone.
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab: This is a comprehensive site that offers resources about general and subject-specific writing, research and citation, grammar and mechanics, English as a second language, and job search and professional writing. The site was created by the writing lab at Purdue University.
Research and Documentation
Here’s a great way to properly format your paper. Just check the official manuals to make sure your sources are consistent with the proper documentation conventions.
- How to format your paper: APA Sample Paper
- How to Write an A+ Research Paper: This Webpage outlines the logical steps to writing a good research paper.
- CITE me please: The site allows the user to enter information about the sources used. The user can then select the format needed – APA, MLA, Chicago, or Turabian – and download bibliography formats. The site also contains a search engine to find books, articles, Websites, or films used as sources.
- Avoiding Plagiarism: The Webpage defines and describes plagiarism. Also, the site describes how to correctly use sources in an essay.
Public Speaking / Presentations
- Informative Speaking: This website provides helpful hints that will help prepare and deliver an informative speech.
- PowerPoint in the Classroom: This interactive tutorial shows you how to create a PowerPoint presentation.
- Presentation Hints and Tips: Here are some tips to make an awesome presentation.
- Math Study Skills: These tips include how to study mathematics, how to approach problem-solving, how to study for and take tests, and when and how to get help.
- Visual Fractions: This interactive tutorial presents and teaches fractions and operations on fractions with pictures.
- AAA Math: This site features many interactive arithmetic lessons covering math topics covered in kindergarten to eight grade.
- Purplemath: This site is wholly devoted to college algebra. There are complete and well-explained solutions provided for the problems. Some lessons are animated or interactive.
- WebMATH: Webmath is a math-help Website that generates answers to specific math questions and problems, as entered by a user, at any particular moment. The math answers are generated and displayed real-time, at the moment a Web user types in a math problem and clicks “solve.” In addition to the answers, Webmath also shows how to arrive at the answer. Topics covered on the Website are general math, K-8 math, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus.
- Math.com: This Website provides interactive tutorials for basic math, pre-algebra, geometry, algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics.
- Paul’s Online Math Notes: This site provides a complete set of free online and downloadable notes and/or tutorials for classes taught at Lamar University. The subjects covered are College Algebra, Calculus I, Calculus II, Calculus III, and Differential Equations. Downloadable formula sheets are also available. The site also hosts a live study group.
- S.O.S Mathematics: This site is a free resource for math review material from Algebra to Differential Equations.