Listed below are some of the frequently asked questions about FRIENDS at Kentucky State University.

I have been out of school for years and my skills have become a little rusty.  Where can I get help with English or math?

Many adults who have been out of school for some time feel they need a refresher in certain subject areas. On the contrary, many returning students have different academic areas in which they excel. In the FRIENDS Center, instructional counseling is available in English, and peer tutoring is available in Nursing. Many of the nontraditional students help each other in different academic areas; however, other areas of academic assistance can be received in Academic Center for Excellence, located in the lower level of the Student Center, Suite 110.

What support services are available through FRIENDS?

The FRIENDS Program sponsors the following areas of support to all students:

  • Tutoring in ENG.
  • Tutoring in Nursing.
  • Study groups.
  • Academic and life-skills workshops.
  • Peer support/networking.
  • Special events (student and family friendly activities).
  • Information about campus and community services (such as, state certified day care and health services)
Where can I find scholarship or financial aid information?

Depending upon whether or not you’ll be keeping your current job, you may be eligible for employer tuition benefits. If this isn’t an option for you, financial help for adult learners is available. A good place to start is through the financial aid office, workers’ unions, various organizations and the scholarship resources in the FRIENDS Center. It may seem that an overwhelming majority of scholarships are intended for graduating high school students; however, as long as the eligibility rules don’t state as such, anyone is able to apply.

Who exactly is a non-traditional student?

The FRIENDS Program identifies nontraditional students as students who qualify as one or more of the following:

  • Regularly live off campus.
  • May be a parent (regardless of age).
  • May be single, married, widowed or divorced.
  • May be military veterans.
  • Assume multiple roles: parent, spouse, caregiver, and/or employee, in addition to attending classes.
  • May be 25 years old or older.
  • May be resuming or have begun studies after a period of employment or working from their home.
  • May be going through a transition such as a career change.