1st-2nd Year Experience provides holistic programming to help 1st-2nd Year Students solidify their path of success at Kentucky State University. From the time of acceptance until the junior year, students will have the opportunity to participate in intentionally designed programs, events and activities that help students to:
- make friends, find mentors, and engage with faculty
- connect with KSU’s rich history and caring community
- discover their identity, strengths, and personal interest
- improve academic and personal decision making skills
- adapt college-level learning strategies for academic success
- explore, choose, and plan for a career
- strengthen leadership and communications skills
- find the value in social responsibility and community service
1st-2nd Year Experience consists of:
- New Student Orientation
- Living/Learning Community
- University 101 and 102
- LINK Mentoring Program
1st-2nd Year Experience begins with New Student Orientation (NSO). During NSO, newly admitted students:
- receive a broad overview of KSU services, programs, and departments
- schedule their classes
- meet their New Student Orientation Leaders (BRED Leaders)
New Student Orientation is mandatory for all students. To register or for more information and dates click here.
BRED Week (New Student Week)
After attending NSO, new students participate in an extended orientation – BRED Week – prior to the start of classes. During New Student Week, new students participate in a variety of engaging activities that is intentionally designed to prepare students for 1st-year success and beyond. Students will:
- Mentally and spiritually prepare to on the challenges of the college transition.
- Learn KSU Student Right’s and Responsibility.
- Participate in meaningful community service with their peers and campus community.
- Meet faculty and staff.
- Learn how to access important resources.