Kentucky State University was recently named a Best Regional College in the Southeast by The Princeton Review, a trusted resource in college and university rankings.
According to its website, The Princeton Review featured institutions it considers academically outstanding and well worth consideration during a college search.
“Kentucky State is an affordable option that provides students access to an education with ample resources to help them navigate and succeed in a nurturing campus environment,” Kentucky State University President M. Christopher Brown II said.
Kentucky State’s profile is compiled in part from a survey of the university’s students. In all, The Princeton Review surveyed more than 138,000 students at colleges across the nation.
Among Kentucky State’s highlights, according to comments from students:
- “Small classes” in “a wide variety” of courses abound here.
- “Kentucky State offers low-cost education to individuals who may not have had any other opportunity to receive it.”
- Students praise the nursing program and the music program. “The honors program is great.”
- True to its roots as a land-grant institution, Kentucky State also offers a number of programs in food and agricultural sciences.
- Other academic highlights include the FRIENDS program, which provides assistance for older students and the ACE program, “where students can go and get student tutors.”
- The “really helpful” professors here “want students to succeed.” “They love their job and will do anything they can to help.”
- “I love my ongoing, open relationships with my professors and the one-on-one attention.”
- Students are “very involved” in a broad range of activities, from sports, to drama, to choir and band (the Marching Thorobred Band is reportedly fantastic).
- “Life in general is fun, and in order to be part of the fun you have to include yourself, and take the opportunity when people make the effort to include you.”
According to the publisher, the annual guide of best colleges – first published in 1992 – is intended to help prospective students and their families find schools that fit academically, socially and financially.