Frankfort, KY—Kentucky State University (KSU) will be temporarily closing the Chandler Residence Hall in order to deep clean and treat the building.
On the evening of October 6, 2016, University officials were notified that mold had been discovered in a few of the residence hall rooms. As a result, 13 students were moved out of their rooms and temporarily placed in an area hotel. Upon further inspection by the University’s Safety Officer, University Administration made the decision to close the residence hall to allow the entire building to be cleaned for the welfare of our students.
“We recognize the inconvenience and disruption this may cause our students and their families, but we are committed to the safety and welfare of our students,” said Aaron Thompson, Ph.D., Interim President of Kentucky State University. “We are taking every precaution to ensure that the rooms are cleaned and the mold is removed. The University routinely checks campus residence halls and buildings in order to maintain the safety of its students, faculty and staff.”
While mold has only been found in a few rooms, the University wants to proactively address the concern by relocating every student in the residence hall. A total of 90 students are being moved out of their rooms and will be permanently housed in Combs Hall, another residence hall on KSU’s campus. As a precaution, the University is inspecting, cleaning, and sanitizing all of the residence hall rooms on campus. The impacted students are currently being informed and their parents or guardians are being notified.
“Finding mold in buildings, especially older buildings like those on our campus, is not uncommon in Kentucky. We inspect all our buildings frequently and take action quickly if any problem is identified,” said Thompson. “Kentucky State University is committed to maintaining the safety of its students, faculty and staff.”