The General Studies Option of the Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree is a completer degree that provides an alternative four-year program for students who seek to return or come to KSU in order to complete an undergraduate education without the academic specialization involved in traditional major programs. This degree program allows reasonable latitude to satisfy individual interests and needs, including those of non- traditional students, while still adhering to the rigorous university standards for baccalaureate degrees. It operates in the spirit of the liberal studies mission of the University. In lieu of the major/minor required by traditional degree programs, the student must complete one of these broad areas of concentration: arts, humanities, social and behavioral science, natural science, business, education, technology, health, or professional studies.
Curriculum guides are designed to help students stay on track for timely graduation. In order to remain on track, students must complete the minimum requirements for each tracking semester, known as milestones. Milestones may include successful completion of specified courses and/or attainment of a minimum GPA.
Following the sample academic plan and its milestones will help students stay on track to graduate in four years. Students will need to refer to and/or print both the appropriate Liberal Studies Requirements AND the appropriate major sheet in order to view the complete degree program requirements.
- Liberal Studies General Core Requirements
- Liberal Studies Requirements: Whitney Young School Honors Program
- BA – Liberal Studies General Studies
Since this is a completer degree, the student must have 90 semester credit hours and must have been enrolled in no classes at KSU for two semesters prior to the semester in which the student enrolls in this program. The student declaring this major should go to the director of the Whitney Young School to be assigned an advisor who will work with the student to define the area of concentration and the appropriate advised electives.
Minimum Academic Requirements:
- 41 credit hours of the General Education Core
- 12 semester-credit hours in the Integrative Studies subject to transfer-student policy
- 42 semester-credit hours of concentration
- 15 semester-credit hours of advised electives
- 10 semester-credit hours of free electives
- 120 total college-level undergraduate semester hours (of which 42 semester-credit hours must be in upper-level [300–400] courses)
- Grade-point average of at least 2.0 overall.
- Grade of “C” or better in all concentration courses and advised elective courses.