What amenities are included in the residence halls and rooms?

Residence hall amenities include lounges, study rooms, laundry facilities, internet/wireless connections and printing capabilities, a laptop program, and on-site paraprofessional and professional staff.

Each room entails a bed, mattress (twin XL), wardrobe/closet, desk, chair, and free cable services. NOTE:  Residents must share the room’s cable connections, and purchase a splitter for each.

What are the meal plan options? What are flex dollars?

There are three meal plan options for students to choose from:

  • 15 meals per week and $250 dining dollars (default meal given to each student)
  • 10 meal per week and $350 dining dollars
  • 225 meals per semester and $150 dining dollars

Students have the option to change their meal plan during the first two weeks of class.

Flex dollars are funds used to purchase items from contracted food vendors (i.e. Chik-fil-A, Taco Bell, Thorobred Grill, etc.)

How do I add money to my student’s account for laundry, on-site vendors, etc.?

Money can be added to a student’s account (Thorobred card) via:

  • Cashier’s office – (ASB 3rd Floor)
  • Money machine (Student Center 1st Floor)

What is the mailing address for my student? All student mail should be addressed as follows:

Student’s Name
Kentucky State University
400 East Main St.
Student’s Residence Hall & Room #
Frankfort, Ky. 40601

DO NOT send cash in the mail.  Mail is delivered to the residence halls once a day Monday – Friday; no service is available on the weekends and holidays. Also, due to the university’s mailing process, mail is generally a day behind.  Sender’s wanting to have mail/items received the next day should use UPS or FedEx.

Who do I contact if I can’t reach my student?

You may contact the live-in hall manager for your student’s building.  If it is an emergency, you may call university police at 502-597-6878.

Who do I contact when I want to know how my student is doing in class and college?

Per FERPA (The Buckley Amendment), a student’s information is privileged only to those he/she has authorized. Thus, depending on the student’s FERPA document a parent, guardian, etc. may or may not be able to have any knowledge of the student’s records.  If a student has authorized his/her parent or guardian to have access to his/her records, the authorized person(s) may contact the appropriate office/person.

Are transportation services offered to students?

The Frankfort Transit offers free services to KSU students who present a current KSU ID card.

What is the process for making a claim through the university’s third party personal property insurance?

Claims Process for Reporting a “Loss” on Your Personal Property Program

In order to report a Claim, the Proof of Loss form, which   you can download from the Haylor, Freyer & Coon Website   (Click Here to visit website), must be completed, signed and returned to Haylor, Freyer & Coon, Inc. To prevent a delay in settlement we request that you   submit your claim form within 90 days of the date of loss.  If you   are going to Email the completed form to us, please include the words   “Insurance Claim” on the subject line to ensure your message is not   caught by our SPAM Filter.

Required Documentation

  • A copy of the receipt or the original   bill for the damaged or stolen items.   If this information is not   available, we require written estimate from the place of purchase (or similar   store) for the same or comparable items.    We also accept website   documentation to determine value.
  • For Claims involving theft or vandalism, a Campus Security or Police report is required.
  • For Accidental Damage to electronic items valued over $500 a repair estimate or bill is needed.   If the item is not repairable, then we will need a statement from an authorized   repair facility.
  • We must advise you that any person who   knowingly and with intent to defraud any insurance company or other   person files a statement of claim containing any materially false   information, or conceals for the purpose of misleading, information   concerning any fact material thereto, commits a fraudulent insurance   act, which is a crime.
  • Should you have any questions, please contact Wendy Bigford at our office.  Phone # 1-888-201-5988 or email: wbigford@haylor.com
  • Please Note:  If you are going to Email the completed form to us,  please include the words “Insurance Claim” on the subject line to ensure your message is not caught by our SPAM Filter.
  • The Proof of Loss form is located at   www.haylor-college.com/pp. Once completed, mail to Haylor, Freyer & Coon,   Inc.at PO Box 4743 in Syracuse, NY 13221 attn: Claim Department.     You can Fax the Claim form to 1-315-453-2184 or E-Mail it to   wbigford@haylor.com.

Does the university have student staff for the residence halls? What is the process for applying?

Each residence hall has student staff who resides in the building. The staff position titles are Community Assistant and Peer Advisor. Students interested in applying for a vacant position should contact his/her hall manager and or click on the Staff & Residence Life Opportunities link.

Can freshmen have a vehicle during the first school year? If so, what is the process to register the vehicle on-campus?

Yes, freshmen students are allowed to have a vehicle. Each student must register his/her vehicle with university police and obtain a parking decal for his/her assigned residence hall parking lot.

Where is the residence life office located?

The Office of Residence Life is located in ASB Room 317.

Can parents, family, and or friends visit and stay overnight?

  • Residents are allowed to have visitors/guests in their room under the following conditions:
  • Only two guests/visitors at one time
  • Each visitor/guest is at least 18 years of age
  • Each visitor/guest presents a valid photo id card to the front office of the building, and properly signs in/out

Who cleans the students’ room? Bathrooms? Common areas?

Each student is responsible for his/her room’s cleanliness, environment (guests and their behaviors, noise, etc.).  Students are responsible for keeping their room clean. Students who live in suite rooms must clean their bathroom (showers, floor, commode, sink, etc.), while students who live in buildings/areas with community bathrooms have a housekeeper(s) who cleans the bathroom.  All students are responsible for the general upkeep of the bathroom: properly flushing commodes after each use, throwing away trash/paper towel, and making sure the floor/stall/sink is clear of all their personal belongings and/or mess.

Can students bring additional furniture to put in their room?

Students may bring personal items to decorate their room under the conditions that they do not remove any university furniture from the room and the items do not damage and or deface any university property (walls, floors, doors, etc.)

Do the residence halls have elevators?

Only Chandler, Kentucky, McCullin, Young Hall have elevators.

Is there a location where students can send/receive fax?

There is not an officially designated location for students to send or receive fax; however, students may ask an on-campus office to use its fax machine.

When do the residence halls open/close?

  • Summer 2015 Semester: (TBD)
  • Fall 2015 Semester: All residence halls open on (TBD) @ 8:00am and close on (TBD) @ 1:00pm.
  • Spring 2016 Semester: All residence halls open on (TBD) @ 8:00am and close on (TBD) @ 1:00pm.

What items are students permitted to bring in the residence halls/ their room?

Please refer to the suggested items list.

Can resident students vote in Kentucky?

Yes. For more information see the Kentucky Student Voting Guide.

Print This Page Print This Page