If you have an emergency, please call the Kentucky State University Campus Police Department by dialing (502) 597-6878. If you dial 911 you will be connected with the Frankfort Police Department or the Kentucky State Police. To contact the Kentucky State University Police Administrative Offices or to report a non-emergency please call (502) 597-6877.
Crime on Campus
While we do our best to prevent crime, most incidents reported to the KSU Campus Police involve property rather than personal danger. You can minimize your chances of becoming a victim by remembering that college campuses are not immune to crime. Use common sense, and follow these tips:
- Lock up your residence and property – Lock your residence hall or apartment door, even when you’re home. Lock your car and bike. Lock your bag in a drawer in your office. Lock your door when you leave, even if you’re leaving “just for a minute.” It only takes a thief 10 seconds to take something from your room or office. Lock your door when you sleep, even in a residence hall.
- Do not leave your property unattended – in the library, dining hall, classroom, restroom, or any campus facility. Theft of backpacks and textbooks is common—the re-sale value of textbooks makes them attractive targets for petty thieves. Take your items with you even if you’re leaving only for a moment. Don’t leave laundry unattended. Don’t leave notes on your door announcing that you aren’t home.
- Operation Identification is a service provided to all residents of KSU who desire written documentation of their personal property. The police department will provide a property registration sheet to record your valuables. This sheet includes serial numbers and verification of valuables. Keep it with your other important records in a place separate from your physical valuables. If your property is missing or stolen, your written inventory provides detailed descriptions that can be used if your items are recovered by the police. Marking valuables can discourage theft before it happens.
- Put your name and address on textbooks inside the cover and on an inside page or two.
- Engrave your personal information and personal code on items that might interest a thief — television sets, stereo equipment, radios, cameras, computers, appliances, sports equipment, bicycles, CD/DVD players (anything portable and valuable).
- Don’t trust everyone, and be (reasonably) suspicious – You can’t know everything about everyone. Many of the people you meet building will be acquaintances. Until you know them well enough to be good friends, don’t take chances. Don’t lend your keys, student ID, driver’s license, or meal ticket to anyone. Don’t open a building door for a stranger who doesn’t have a key. Don’t prop open a door either—and if you see one that is propped open, close it.
- Report suspicious behavior immediately to the campus police. Use the contact information in the right column or contact us via our anonymous tip line.
Campus Police & Security
Exum Building, Suite 248
400 E Main Street
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Dispatch: (502) 597-6878
Fax: (502) 597-5827
Office Hours: Monday–Friday
Lost and Found: