Office 365 is a secure online set of products including desktop applications (Microsoft Office suite) and server products (including Exchange e-mail, SharePoint collaboration, and Lync instant messaging). For now, only the Exchange e-mail, SkyDrive and Lync will be implemented at KSU. SharePoint will be implemented in the Fall.
Email & Calendars
E-mail online provides rich, familiar, and more secure access to email, calendar, contacts, and tasks across PCs, the web, and mobile devices.
- Access email from almost anywhere through a web browser using Outlook Web App.
- Use Microsoft Office Outlook for a rich client experience and offline access to your mailbox.
- Enjoy 25 gigabytes (GB) of mailbox storage space per user and send messages up to 25 megabytes (MB) in size.
- Automatically apply actions to messages as they arrive using inbox rules.
- Avoid email mistakes with automated alerts called Mail Tips.
Office Web Apps
Office Web Apps are touch-friendly web applications that let you create, edit and share your Excel, Word, PowerPoint and OneNote files from any browser.
You can share and simultaneously work on your documents with classmates, friends and co-workers. No need to merge different versions later.
- Includes Microsoft Access 2010, Microsoft Info Path® 2010, Microsoft Outlook 2010, Microsoft Publisher 2010 and Microsoft Word 2010
- Edit documents read or edit Office documents in a web browser, and easily escalate into an Office editing session.
- Built into SharePoint Online (Coming to KSU Fall 2014).
- Enable coworkers in different locations to share, edit, and comment on documents with a familiar Office experience best suited to mobile devices.
- Co-authoring enables web-based collaboration, allowing multiple people to edit Excel spreadsheets, build reports or documents in Word, and annotate One Note notebooks simultaneously.
SkyDrive allows you to upload and sync files to cloud storage and then access them from a Web browser or local device.
- Online file storage of 7 GB from PC, Mac, Web or Remote Access
- Access files on the go with iPhone and iPad, Windows Phone
Android, Mobile web
- Work seamlessly with Microsoft Office across PC, Mac, and web Edit online at the same time as others Track versions
Capture anything, get to it later
- Free note-taking apps for your phone
- Showcase your photos with online slide shows, e-mail slide shows, post to Facebook and Twitter, captions and geotags
- Simple file sharing and you can share with anyone
- Online viewing for Office files
Lync Online connects people everywhere, as part of their everyday productivity experience. Lync provides a consistent, single client experience for presence, instant messaging, voice, video and a great meeting experience. Lync enables instant messaging (IM) and voice calling with people around the world who use Skype.
- Get real-time presence information—including photos, availability status, and location—and enhanced instant messaging (IM) to connect efficiently and effectively.
- Make voice calls through your computer to other Lync or Skype users in KSU or in other organizations that use Lync or Skype.
- Create, moderate, and join pre-planned and on-the-fly audio, video, and web meetings with people inside and outside your organization.
- Enhance online presentations with screen-sharing and virtual whiteboards.
- Let others participate in your Lync conference calls even if they are not Office 365 or Lync Online users.
SharePoint – Coming to KSU
SharePoint provides a single, integrated location in the cloud where users can easily collaborate with students and faculty to share ideas and expertise, build custom team and project sites and solutions, find organizational resources, or search for information. Administrators can also invite external users to view, share, and collaborate on intranet site collections.
- Simultaneously share and work on documents posted to SharePoint Online sites and document libraries using integration with Office Web Apps.
- Help users store, work on, and export multiple files as a single entity by introducing document sets.
- Use retention and auditing policies to help define document retention and expiration periods, provide access control and security, and enable tracking.
- Improve the processes of managing and tracking information through the Unique Document ID service, which assigns unique identifiers to content.
- Add 500 megabytes (MB) of storage for every user.
- Access SharePoint Online sites and documents on mobile devices (including web-enabled mobile devices) using a simplified, text-only format.