Kentucky State University’s Office of Internal Audit
Mission Statement: To proactively provide independent, objective assurance on the University’s system of internal controls which will assist management and staff in providing high quality services in a manner that is accountable, efficient, effective and ethical.
Vision Statement: The Office of Internal Audit will function as a catalyst for improvement and a valuable resource to the University by providing assurance and consulting services that will promote good stewardship of University assets and resources to uphold the highest level of integrity.
Core Services: The Office of Internal Audit provides internal auditing services for Kentucky State University (KSU) via four core services.
- Assurance Services – review operations, policies, and procedures to ensure that the appropriate control structure is in place and that business risks are considered;
- Consulting Services– help address specific issues and concerns that do not require an assurance review;
- Information Technology Services – review to ensure that electronic information is processed as intended, data integrity is maintained, and the control structure is effective. This service will be primarily delivered through co-source arrangements with external consultants;
- Integrity Services– investigate allegations of employee misconduct or non-violent criminal acts involving KSU resources and proactive fraud detection best practice reviews. This includes providing administrative support for KSU’s Tipline.
Department Objectives: The Office of Internal Audit conducts audits of all KSU departments, agencies, and other appropriations awarded through either grants or contracts. The main objective of the Office of Internal Audit is to determine that those entrusted with KSU resources are establishing and maintaining effective controls to:
- Accomplish Business Objectives and Goals
Those entrusted with Kentucky State University resources are responsible for establishing and maintaining effective controls to ensure that programs meet their goals and objectives.
- Identify and Comply with Applicable Laws and Regulations
Those entrusted with Kentucky State University resources are responsible for establishing and maintaining effective controls to ensure identification of and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Safeguard Resources
Those entrusted with Kentucky State University resources are responsible for establishing and maintaining effective controls to ensure that resources are safeguarded against waste, loss and misuse.
- Assess the accuracy and reliability of information (financial, performance) reported.
Those entrusted with Kentucky State University resources are responsible for establishing and maintaining effective controls to ensure that valid and reliable data are obtained, maintained and fairly disclosed.