Q: How will credits earned through CLEP, Advanced Placement, or other examinations be handled?

A: If the sending institution certifies such credits for application to its general education requirements (either with or without the granting of credit hours), the receiving institution will recognize these requirements as having been fulfilled.

Q: How will credits earned in private or out-of-state institutions be treated?

A: If a public sending institution endorses the use of such credits for satisfying a general education requirement, the receiving institution will accept this decision.

Q: What happens in the case of D grades in general education courses?

A: Grades of D are accepted at most public colleges and universities for purposes of fulfilling general education requirements. However, in granting transfer credit, some institutions do not accept D grades; students should check with individual advisers or admissions officers at the schools to which they are transferring. Where D grades do not receive transfer credit, certifications by sending institutions of course work, which includes D grades, may not be fully accepted.

Q: Will credits earned at colleges or universities not accredited by a regional accrediting agency be applicable to the General Education Transfer Policy?

A: The SACS standard on the transfer of credits must be followed, and each transfer is subject to evaluation in accordance with the SACS standard.

Q: What information can a receiving institution expect from a sending institution regarding a student’s general education certification?

A: The sending institution will indicate, either on the transcript or as an attachment to the transcript, whether the student is Fully Certified, Core Component-Certified, or Category-Certified in general education.

Q: Will information about the completion of transfer credits at one institution be automatically sent to another institution, or must students request this service?

A: Some institutions have the capability to include general education certification on the transcript by using an automated process. Other institutions do not. Students should request a general education audit when they submit a transcript request.

Q: Who will receive the documentation certifying general education transfer?

A: A centralized office on each campus will receive the transfer information. Normally, the Office of Admissions will handle this task.

Q: Does this policy affect general education requirements for specific majors?

A: No. The General Education Transfer Policy does not add to, subtract from, or change any general education courses required for a major. Students need to work closely with their advisers to determine what relationship, if any, exists between requirements for general education and requirements for a specific major. This is a most important issue and should be carefully noted.

Q: What appeal do students have in case of misunderstandings or disagreements?

A: Each institution has a process for appeals related to the General Education Transfer Policy. Also, each institution appoints a person to serve as the official institutional liaison with respect to the Policy. Students in need of assistance should contact that individual.

Q: Who are considered transfer students?

A: Transfer students are those who transfer from one public higher education institution (sending institution) to another public higher education institution (receiving institution) with the intention of completing their educational program at the receiving institution.

Q: Who are transient (or visiting) students?

A: Transient students are students in good standing in any recognized institution who enroll in another institution with the intention of transferring the credits earned to their home institution.

Q: Does the Transfer Policy allow students to receive duplicate credit by taking courses at one institution and repeating equivalent or similar courses at another institution?

A: No. The General Education Transfer Policy does not impact the policies of the respective institutions with regard to duplicate course credit. Students should work closely with their academic advisers to make appropriate course selections before and after transferring from one institution to another.