The Gaining Options for College Collaborative (GO College) is a national data-driven initiative that brings communities together to increase college access and success for low-income, first-generation, and minority students. Go College is built upon six essential cornerstones:
- Collaboration among Many Community Partners
- Using Data to Improve Student Outcomes
- Combining a Whole School Approach with More Intensive Services for Individual Student Groups
- Aligning In-School and Out-of-School Programming to Improve Student Achievement
- Building on Existing Community Resources
- Emphasizing Student, School, and Community Strengths
GO College works with community partners to set college enrollment goals and implement programming for whole schools in order to increase high school completion, college entrance, and college graduation rates.
GO College provides more intensive services to individual student groups starting the summer before their first year of high school and continuing through high school graduation. Participation in the summer bridge program helps students transition into high school and increases high school success. Intensified academic support, college coaching, and additional after-school, weekend, and summer enrichment programs prepare students to successfully prepare for, transition to, and graduate from college.
College coaches are embedded in each high school to work not only with individual students in these groups, but also with the whole school on college enrollment services.