Program Dates: June 11 – 17, 2017
Application Deadline: April 1, 2017
The Pathways and Access to Careers in Environmental Sciences (PACES) program is a one-week residential opportunity for students entering grades 6th-8th. PACES uses a problem-based learning curriculum, Project Learning Tree: Green School Investigations, to foster critical and creative thinking in group and individual projects. Instruction will incorporate fun along with environmental science, math, and technology, so that activities are educational and entertaining. Participants will split their time between on-campus investigations and hiking, walking, and exploring Frankfort and surrounding areas, as well as taking an educational boat tour down the Kentucky River on the Kentucky River Thorobred to learn about water quality and the social and environmental impacts of the waterway.
- Each grade group will work collectively to investigate the environmental effectiveness and efficiency of a highly utilized area, specifically to waste and recycling, energy, and water.
- From the investigation, each grade group will use the data to create a project to present to a panel of University personnel.
- Professional guest speakers, faculty, and staff, will provide insight on various careers and education tracks within the field of environmental science.
- Through participation in hands-on experiential learning activities, students will gain knowledge of the environment and the effects of recycling, while being acclimated to the academic offerings and atmosphere of the University.
- KY Division of Water
- Kentucky Association of Environmental Education
- KSU College of Agriculture, Food Science, and Sustainable Systems
- Franklin County Solid Waste Administration
- Applicant must be entering middle school grades (grade 6, 7, or 8).
Applicant Requirements: Deadline is April 1, 2017
- Submit a completed and signed application by the deadline of April 1, 2017 (click on this link to download form in Adobe PDF format)
- Include typed responses to the prompt on the application
- Include teacher recommendations with original signatures
- Include the most recent transcript or report card
- PACES Application Form for 2017 link:
This Adobe PDF form is for downloading, filling in manually and either mailing or scanning and emailing your submission:
2017 PACES Application Form
- Participants are selected through a competitive process
- Applicants must express an interest in and demonstrate an aptitude in math and science
- Application will be reviewed and scored based on the writing prompt, teacher recommendations, and grade report
- The cost of room and board, program activities, and supplies are covered through the program.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for providing for the personal needs of the participants, in addition to transportation to and from the University.