Over a 12-month period, the project will provide technical assistance and needs-based personal outreach services to at least 150 SSDPs from Kentucky’s 41 rural counties with higher proportions of SSDPs that are underserved by USDA programs.
The expected outcomes of the project are:
- increased knowledge about and participation in USDA programs,
- increased entitlement of farmlands,
- increased networking of SSDPs for farm inputs purchase, sharing and marketing of farm products through cooperative efforts,
- increased interests in organic agriculture, agroforestry, niche markets, ethnic and medicinal fruits/vegetable production,
- increased use of computer and mapping resources for farm records keeping, resources profiling, financial management, enterprise budgeting, and whole farm planning.
This project will:
- involve more SSDPs in participatory decision making and in mentoring to other SSDPs in their vicinity;
- develop positive attitudes toward cooperative development, climate change and environmental stewardship; and
- participate more in national to community level meetings and decision making process.
It is anticipated that the project will increase SSDP’s self-confidence, help them better understand farm bills, the legislative process and other issues that require public debate and voting at all levels. Program participants also will learn about the efficient use and increased retention of farmland for sustained farm productivity and profitability.
This project is supported by USDA/SSDPG Grant Number SSDPG-01-20-37-646489357.Print This Page