The Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources offers research, extension, and educational opportunities in sustainable/conventional and organic agriculture production systems, agroforestry, and in food science and nutrition attributes of these crops. Undergraduate Research Assistant Positions are available in Division Units during the school year and the summer for interested students.
Division Program Units include:
- Agroforestry: Integrated approaches to production systems in combining trees and shrubs with crops and/or livestock. Agricultural and forestry technologies are combined to create diverse, productive, profitable, healthy and sustainable land-use systems.
- Apiculture: Honeybee parasite and disease control, colony collapse disorder, and honey production and extraction methods.
- Entomology: Ecological approaches to insect management, conservation biological control in vegetable and fruit crops, and organic pest management.
- Horticulture: The production of high value fruit and vegetable crops in sustainable and organic production systems. The use of molecular genetics in crop breeding and assessment of genetic diversity in management of native plant populations.
- Kentucky State University Research and Demonstration Farm: The 300-acre farm is the home to numerous research projects, including Apiculture, Aquaculture, Entomology, and Horticulture. Integrating these diverse projects on a small farm creates an environment that requires compatibility and sustainability. The KSU farm has fruit and vegetable projects, goat, beef, and poultry trials, as well as 11 acres of certified organic land which hosts a range of projects in organic agriculture.
- Medicinal plants and human health: Japanese vegetables as alternative crops, and health benefits and chemoreventitive properties of native plants and their products.
- Small Farm and Ag Extension: One-on-one educational assistance and extension workshops for small and limited-resource farmers, those in urban agriculture, and home gardeners.
Dr. Kirk Pomper
Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources
129 Atwood Research Facility
Kentucky State University
Frankfort, Ky. 40601